Subject: [Leica] Michael A's PAW for weeks 4, 5, 6 & 7 (late!)
From: "Michael Abbott" <m@mabot.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:37:54 +0200

I have just posted four weeks of PAW, from a recent trip down to Cape Town
(hence I've not been reading the list lately.)

Week 4: http://www.mabot.com/paw02/wk4-0201-0534.html

After 10 days on a beautiful wine farm, I'd only picked up a camera twice
and only shot one roll of film. One of them had to be that week's PAW.

Week 5: http://www.mabot.com/paw02/wk5-0202-0314.html

I tried several times to go street-shooting, walked around a lot camera in
hand but shot little. Some of the time I just couldn't find enough density
of people.

A lot of the time I'd see shots and then walk past bacause I thought it
"culturally intrusive": I find it far easier to squash my disease when the
people I'm shooting are roughly similar class/culture/social
position/whatever, as is the case on 1st-world streets (excepting the
homeless perhaps.) This is partly just a culture-gap thing, and partly
because a lot of the pictures I saw (but didn't take) were juxtapositions
that the people in them might find offensive to have recorded: Muslim woman
next to a miniskirt, black guy-white guy, that sort of thing. Does anyone
here do street shooting in a culturally-varied place? Thoughts on this?

Week 6: http://www.mabot.com/paw02/wk6-0202-1035.html

Optical effects at the aquarium - this is a large cylindrical tank. I must
have shot half a roll here, with only a handful in focus - these little
buggers move! Not sure I like the colour balance.

Week 7: http://www.mabot.com/paw02/wk7-0202-1124.html

A visit to Robben Island, South Africa's political Alcatraz. The only way to
visit is on a guided tour, so it was rushed, and it was midday.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Michael

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Michael A's PAW for weeks 4, 5, 6 & 7 (late!))