Subject: Re: [Leica] End of the M6?
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:11:12 -0500

Mark Cohen wrote:

> I think Leica has historically replaced cameras as new ones came out.. I
> don't think they produced the M3 and the m4 at the same time or the m4
> and m5... If they announced the M7 (big IF!) they most likely won't
> produce the M6 any more.

Mark,

But when you look at the full line of Leica range finders (up to the
M6), they where all manual.  To date, Leica still makes both the R8 and
R6.2.  The R8 is electronic and the R6.2 is electronic.  Nikon has done
the same thing, they recently came out with a new version of the FM, the
FM3a.

My gut says that the M6 is the final manual range finder, but will live
for many, many years to come.  Leica might improve the M6 as time goes
by, but I don't think the M7 will replace it.  There are too many
people, especially Leica M shooters, that refuse to depend on a camera
that requires batteries.