Subject: Re: [Leica] Which budget 90mm lens
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:52:01 -0800

I have the current CV 21, which I now use on a Bessa-T, the anniversary
model. I've had both the M f4 and f3.4 S/A. The f4 I used for nearly 3
years before I sold it out of shear exasperation. I had a 24 Nikkor that
outperformed it. The f3.4 I used for nearly ten years, and frankly got
tired of the image going to mush when I stopped down. They all had
hideous fall-off. I think that the only lenses that are relatively free
from that inherent problem are the XL large format lenses. Even my
Rollei S/K 40 f3.5 Super Angulon, purported to be the state of the art
in design, and at $4K it should be, has light fall-off.
I've been running my 21 CV through a torture test, under extreme
lighting conditions. But as I use fast films, I can't speak for it's
quality with fine resolving emulsions. The images come out not much in
difference from Antonin Kratochvil's prints, where you can't tell what
kind of gear was used because the lighting, and composition, was so
extreme. I have 19 rolls of a variety of films shot with it that I've
yet to process. Every time I think I have some extra time, I get
overwhelmed with constraints on my time before I can even start a film
run. And no, I can not let another sapien handle my B/W negs. I'll go to
the LA zoo and chuck the film into the Chimp cage before going that
route again. That comes from hard experience.
I had, once, a 28 Kobalux which I used on a IIIc. To be frank, my Nikon
Litetouch, fixed three element 28mm, outperformed it under just about
any condition. But judging from what I've seen from other people's shots
with the new 21 Kobalux, one has to admit that the performance is
impressive. I have to admit that I toyed with the idea of getting it,
because of that extra stop. But having other Leica lenses that are fast,
I settled with a system, IIIa or Bessa-T with the 21 CV, that I could
put in my pocket.
As far as advise is concerned, I've always been of the school of thought
that if you can't afford it, save for it.
 Slobodan Dimitrov