Subject: RE: [Leica] Professional vs. Amateur look (was R vs M6 Prices)
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:37:19 -0700

>  I use a black Leica and wear all black
> clothes to look unobtrusive and professional.  I also take
> very good care of my equipment so it also looks new and
> professional.  But still, no one likes my photographs and
> people don't treat me as a professional.  Even black tape
> does not help.

Ah... #1 problem there - to look like a proper pro you should put your Leica
in the tumble dry (on cool mind you) along with some lose change and run it
for 20 - 30 minutes. Then leave your camera laying around on the floor in
your home/apartment, preferably where the dog/children can play with it a
couple of days. Once it has acquired a proper "patina" apply a couple of odd
stickers to it - say the kind you find suck on fruit these days. A strap
made from a knotted piece of that purple cloth tape you find in climbing
stores helps too.

As for dress, sometimes a very smelly pipe helps the look, or a rather odd
hat (not Tilley - no pro would ever wear a Tilley - that's for amateurs,
especially doctors and dentists). A black photo vest can help, but it looks
best if it's a tan one you have tried to die it black yourself, using those
little packets of dye that make everything else you wash go grey for some
weeks afterwards. If you must have a tan vest - get one like Dave Harvey's
that was made by a small custom tailor in a back street in Havana.

Also, a small pewter hip flask can add to the look - preferably one with the
crest of the Soviet Border Police, that you can claim to have picked up when
the Wall fell.

Sand coloured Hush puppies of the sort the Brits call brothel creepers or
desert wellies also add something

Aside from that, I'm sure Ted or Sal can offer a few pointers

:-)

Tim

Replies: Reply from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> (RE: [Leica] Professional vs. Amateur look (was R vs M6 Prices))