Subject: RE: [Leica] Professional vs. Amateur look (was R vs M6 Prices)
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:04:23 -0600

A (pro) friend of mine prefers a smelly ceegar (cigar) for street
shooting. It seems to work. Nobody every confronts him. Who wants to
go up against some guy smoking a ceegar?

Good god man, you forgot credentials! You need a chain with a bunch
of press passes around your neck.  Veeery important.

A true professional also has PEOPLE with him. It may be an assistant
with some kind of light and umbrella, or models, or both. But people
are important.

An old black paint M2or3 hung on the shoulder is good. Doesn't matter
if it works.

Here's what to AVOID.
1) any ballistic nylon bag. An old canvas Domke with a shoulder strap
that's so frayed it's turning into fringe is better.
2) never (ever) wear a camera around your neck. It never (ever) looks good.
3) lens caps
4) spindly cheap mono-pods or tripods.
5) spindly cheap looking telephoto lenses.
[spindly cheap models are okay, however]
6)  avoid deer in the headlights look.
[Always look like you know what you're doing even if you don't. If
you have a 180mm type lens on a motor carry it with your elbow cocked
carrying the camera and lens pointed up from your shoulder. It should
be next to your ear pointed up.  You know--how the cops carry a .357
Magnum when they're ready for "action" on TV.]

That's my "pro" advice for the day. <bg>

John Fulton
Fort Worth