Subject: Re: [Leica] End of the M6?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:16:16 -0700

1&2: Actually both the M2 and M3 were discontinued when the M4 came on
stream. There was very little production overlap but, as with all things
Leica, there were quite a few in the system so it took a few years before
the M3/2 were finally dropped from the catalogues. Check here for serial
number allocation dates:

http://www.cameraquest.com/mtype.htm

The M2-R was production overrun from a cancelled military contract. It is
not a good idea to search for logic in military contracts.

4,5,6&7: You may want to review your Leica history (LFI has published some
interesting interviews and Laney has a good account). Here it is in brief.
The Leica M4 was discontinued..Kaput! Leica Canada was busy making lenses
for M cameras and realised that without a body demand would soon fall off.
They argued that lower Canadian wages, rationalised production methods and
reduced shipping costs to the principle Leica market (USA) would make a
relaunched M body profitable. The M4-2 could hardly be considered a success
(16k over three years) except only in hindsight. Otherwise we would not be
eagerly anticipating a M7 on Sunday.

John Collier