Subject: Re: [Leica] week 8 PAWs
From: bourgeois and biblical <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:15:20 -0600

john:

> Oh man!! You are so lucky. I have not seen Jonathan Richman in years. I
> am
> SO jealous. Did he sing: "Let's give Paris One More Chance"?

indeed, he opened with "give paris one more chance."  he was the
headliner on a bill with moe tucker (drummer for the velvet underground)
and vic chestnutt, who is possibly the most truly insane singer i've
ever seen, and who described himself as the "cheese in a rock icon
sandwich."  (imagine david sedaris as a folk-rocker, and you've got
yourself vic chestnutt.)

richman played for about an hour and a half, doing mostly newish--80s
onward--stuff.  no modern lovers material.  he did "her mystery not of
high heels and eye shadow," which is one of my favorites of his new
stuff.  the last shot, of him dancing, is from "lesbian bar."  during
"vampire girl," in which he insisted that everyone sing along, he did
hilarous hand motions--making a cross with his arm and the neck of his
guitar for the "ritual sacrifice" line and making horns and scary claws
for "eeevil, scary."

this is the first time i've ever seen him, as he doesn't really get down
south very often.  i think he's probably the most underappreciated
musician in rock music--too weird for mainstream audiences but
blindingly brilliant with his simple songs about the sublime.

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=190241

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

When I get depressed, I just look at our two wiener dogs.  You'll never
see more of a can-do attitude in a can't-do body than a wiener dog."
	--Kevin Kling

Rap is a continuation of the Sex Pistols; it's quite obvious.
	--John(nny Rotten) Lydon