Subject: RE: [Leica] Professional vs. Amateur look (was R vs M6 Prices)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:35:21 -0500

Alternatively, don't worry about what you wear, what kind of bag you keep
your cameras in - for that matter what kind of equipment you are using - and
show the world you are an outstanding photographer - forget the pro/am
bit -by the photography you produce.

I know, I know, ridiculous suggestion.

Oh, a little story for all you collectors and preservers of the holy
grail...

Last night after class a couple of students were showing me their latest
equipment purchases...one student pulls out his new Canon Elan 7, which
replaced his dead Pentax ME, and a grad student, beaming pulls from his
backpack - a well-used M6 - with a 35 Summicron 50th Anniversary lens...the
one with engraving etc. on the barrel....Turns out the shop he was in had
two late pre-asph summicrons, one plain vanilla, one the engraved one, like
new, in the box - same price. Being an MIT student and not stupid, he took
the engraved lens...And being far more interested in photography than in
collecting or posing, he mounted it on the body and threw the whole thing in
his backpack. ;-)

B. D.