Subject: [Leica] [ZICG] Re: long lenses on rangefinders
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:30:48 -0800 (PST)

Actually I just remembered one more thing
Outside of the superimposition vs split image factor,
not all RFs with the same effective base are the same.
The proportion of abolute mechanical length to
magnification is also important. As the mechanical
base gets shorter and magnification gets higher you
need
more accurate mechanicals. IE: For a given effective
base, an RF with a very short mechanical base and very
high magnification is far more sensitive to things
like cam variations and mechanical play than one with
a long physical base and lower magnification. For this
reason I think it's a good idea to first keep the
mechanical base as long as possible (constrained by
camera proportions) and then add as much magnification
as you can. This would make the Contax 1
the most accurate superimposition RF ever put on any
35 camera even if it's effective base was the same as
the next one which I think is the 2 followed by the
Leica 3. Whatever the case I'm guessing there must be
an optimum proportion of physical base to
magnification but I have no idea what it might be. I
could be wrong though perhaps it just runs away. Does
anyone know.

Javier