Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 8 ~ Matt Kollasch
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:18:19 -0800

Matt Kollasch wrote & showed:
>>> One more from my recent trip... now back to photo life on the home
> front.   > http://www.uni.edu/kollasch/photo/paw-02/pages/week-08.htm <<

Hi Matt,
Big improvement with a tad bit of cropping. ;-) Well done and a stronger
picture. Don't worry too much about your confidence in doing the right
cropping when you crop or worrying whether you've made the right move or
not, just do it and if it doesn't work, turf it, re-do it! :-)

Some times we make a crop and at first look it's "wow that's great! Ten
looks later you turf it and go back to the original. One of the good things
about computers/Photoshop is cropping doesn't entail a half dozen or more
wet tray prints for comparison.

The overall appearance in your shot is much better getting rid of the Space
Needle that had been on the right. Occasionally photographers feel there
isn't any need to crop "because that's what they saw and that's what people
get" is a kind of thing that some photographer's/artist's feel their images
are so well executed they are above reproach/improvement as they saw it and
shot it.

In many cases they're dead wrong! (I already know the return fire on that
one!)  ;-)

And your picture of moving objects leads to all kinds of... "if you were
here, there, lower, higher, etc. etc. it would've been better." Actually
sometimes mean nothing if it's a "moving subject such as the skulls" and
there isn't any thought about the "moving part." If it's rocks, ferns and
peeling paint, hell you can shoot until the cows come home and make all
kinds of "no need to crop pictures" The rocks and bits aren't going
anywhere.

Moving things move and you don't always hit it right on the mark
therefore..........cropping is necessary to make the picture the way you
would like to have shot it!

I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of photographs couldn't be improved by "after
thought" like a Monday morning quarterback with cropping or whatever.

Yep and some are so well executed even the Good Guy upstairs couldn't
improve them. ;-) But don't be bamboozled by the "never crop" crowd it only
works in extremely rare situations.

Cropping is the same as the motivation to shoot,  "you feel the moment to
shoot, so do you the cropping!"

You're still in the learning curve my friend and doing a great job at what
you're producing, keep 'em coming! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant