Subject: [Leica] WAS:doctors and lawyers NOW: KIDS LEARNING
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:31:04 -0800

My four, two boys, then two girls. Yeah I know someone's going to say how
did you get them like that?

Heck, I just looked in the order catalogue and ordered them! ;-) Their
mother has other ideas! ;-)

I'm not sure what the right age is, as I believe from experience it has far
more to do with the child's interest in the subject, be that darkroom or
shooting. If they're keen and show a real interest in "what do you do in the
darkroom when the lights are off?"

Then that's the time to bring them in gently without overwhelming with a lot
of talk and mystery they have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

Darkroom: Make prints then show & tell, "watch the magic happen when I put
this piece of photo paper in the developer."  Then the best part
happens......... watch their eyes light-up with excitement and awe when they
see the first beginnings of the image appear, then to completion.

A few like that and they are hooked! Next move, let them try exposing a
piece of paper while placing their hand on a sheet of photo paper, flick the
enlarger light on and off . Then let them develop their own magic "hand
picture!"

Almost from that moment when they see their hand print appear, they are as
hooked as you are. Not always for a great length of time, but they are
hooked! :-) Best part for papa son? Their eyes, as they are so excited they
can hardly get the picture out and take it to "Show mom!"

The two girls never really got into it, but they shoot pictures that are
worthy of what they learned and still do even though neither went into it as
photographers.

One went into baby making! ;-) The other, her own Stock Photography Sport
Agency up 'till a couple years ago.

The oldest son does a good handling of a camera when he's inclined with his
teacher profession, even though when younger he was really into shooting and
darkroom. The beginnings of another fine sport shooter.

Anyway the oldest son, Ted jnr. was probably in the darkroom buffaloing
prints through the chemicals when he was about 6 years and Scott, number 2
son was even earlier as he stood on a box to be high enough to see over the
sink. Why younger?  Brother action driven, not my influence. :-)

He wanted to do what Ted jnr was doing. And as it turned out he's the son I
rave about as being such a great sport shooter and has put the old man to
shame more than once when we've covered the international sport scene
together.

His company website is:  http://www.cyberus.ca/~fsgrant/ for any of you
interested in a very fine sport shooter. :-)

I feel getting your children into the photo bug these days is an excellent
idea  particularly with so many unsavory things they can be lured into. But
learning photography and the fun it holds can be very effective in keeping
them out of harms way.

Plus it may give them something that is a lifelong hobby or develop into a
lifetime career. And from where I stand after a 50 year career and still
going, I think that's a pretty good thing for a kid to get into..........
IF!  They have the keen to do it and not pushed into it!

That gentlemen and gentlewomen is the key! Not "pushed into it!" Make it fun
and exciting without pressure and they will come along! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] re: doctors and lawyers)