Subject: [Leica] Re: Rodinal, Beutler, & Windisch
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:30:31 -0800

At 11:04 PM 2/24/2002 -0600, Don wrote:

>Why not use the old Buetler formula rather than the Rodinal grain
>grower?

Well, I use, and have used for 42 years, Rodinal, Willi Beutler, and Hans
Windisch formulas. I also use Xtol and D-76. Each has its time and place.

I just (last weekend) printed some 20x24's of a stalagmite of frozen water,
grown up to the drip source, that I photographed in our frozen backyard
bird bath, here in Silicon Valley. It was about 10 inches high and
eventually reached the drip source. It was backlit with direct early
morning sun. Anyway, Rodinal 1:100 and I defy anyone to find the grain.
Well... if you look really close with a magnifier, you can see some. The
dynamic range and tonal quality is spectacular. Spectacular enough that
several people have ordered prints.

So there are situations where Rodinal will produce somewhat grainy, but
exquisitely sharp, photographs. And others, depending upon how you handle
things, spectacularly sharp and, for all intent and purposes, grainless
photographs.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Rodinal, Beutler, & Windisch)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: Rodinal, Beutler, & Windisch)