Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW 2002 - week 8
From: allan <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:15:55 -0500

Please visit my week 8 PAW here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=134579

I've included an alternate.

Pleasureland was a public swimming pool in Oakland, NJ. Fifteen years ago, a
large group of out-of-towners descended on it for a day of fun. Two rival
groups of Rastafarians (this is what the news accounts of the day called
them?) argued and the end result was a small arms battle that left two dead
and 8 to 12 (depending on source) wounded. Pleasureland never reopened, and
only recently has there been a move to reclaim the land for use.

I know of Pleasureland because I dated a girl there as a teen. The trip to
Oakland seemed like an excursion to the country to a NYC boy--and in a way
it was. I never swam at Pleasureland, but a number of times I met my
girlfriend there to avoid her parents. In doing research about the place, I
came upon an interesting fact for you old-fart rockers. Where did the
Vanilla Fudge play the day before their first album was released in 1967.

That's right! Pleasureland. Apparently it was a music venue from the 1940s
untill the 1960s. I was unable to determine if there was a pool during these
years.

Allan

Replies: Reply from "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: PAW 2002 - week 8)