Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Erwin Puts
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:44:19 -0800

>Javier Perez wrote:
> IMHO to pay the 2000+ that it will probably
> cost isto reward a company for not innovating or progressing
> in more than 30 years. How many of you remember the first
> functional autofocus camera? It was a Leica. What
> happened!
> Javier

Somehow I have the feeling that if Leica came out with a auto-everything
camera, like the Hexar or G2, the Leica legions would be massing in
front of the gates of the Solms factory with pitchforks and torches
like the villagers in a Frankenstein movie.

I had the oppertunity to spend some time with a G2 and it's not my cup
of tea. Too many buttons and gadgets to get in the way. And that's
coming from a guy who makes his living in digital imaging. I can stomach
the electronic shutter (although you will have pry my M2 and M6 from my
cold, dead fingers), because they kept the electronics transparent and
in spirit it's basicly the same camera with a built in crutch if you
need it.

I think Leica falls in the same category as Linhof. If it ain't broken,
don't fix it. The Technika has changed marginaly since WWII, yet it
still is the benchmark for cameras of it's type. If you add
auto-everything to an M it will be a beast of a different kind. If you
want that kind of camera, Konika and Contax have been making them for
5-10 years.

feli