Subject: [Leica] Re: Question on the M7 and the Metz 54 MZ-3
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:46:13 -0600

Henry:

>then the HSS mode should work with M6 as well. I see
>no difference of the shutter operating in 1/1000
>between the M7 or the M6.

I don't know.  But that's not about to stop me from speculating.  <grin>

From the info on Leica's web site and Erwin's report, the HSS mode doesn't
work with 1/60 and 1/125 speeds...these are the manual speeds.  They're not
electronically controlled.

In Erwin's report, he says:

> No the HSS is not usable with mechanical-shutter Leica’s. The flash expects
> to receive specific electronic signals for proper functioning and the mechanical
> shutters do not have this signal.

I suspect that if you manually triggered the HSS flash at the appropriate
time when you hit the shutter release, it would work with the manual shutter
speeds and with the M6.  That's likely a hit or miss operation.  If you hit
the flash too soon, then it will have finished its strobing before the last
slit of the negative is exposed.  Hit it too late, and the first slit won't
be exposed.

So it appears that the camera has to tell the flash when to start its magic.

This isn't breakthrough technology.  Been in Nikon cameras since around 1990
and Canons shortly after that.  It's probably more helpful on the Leicas.
With a sync speed of 1/250, there's not that much of a reason to mess with a
manual flash to go higher.  I mean, who really needs to use 1/8000 for fill
flash?  :)  I never found a good use for it on my Nikon.

I used google to search on "fp high speed sync" and came up with these links
that do a pretty good job explaining the technology beyond what I've said.
That's the name of the Nikon version of HSS.

http://www.photozone.de/flashtec2.htm
http://www.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/hss.html

Eric

Message from Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Question on the M7 and the Metz 54 MZ-3)