Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kyle's PAW 8 (studio advice)
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:58:07 -0800

Kyle,

I second Mark Rabiner's recommendation for a smaller single light source closer to the subject. Forget the big softboxes for awhile. They are the P&S of lighting. The small single umbrella is the most under rated light source in a studio nowadays. People have forgotten how to use them. Get a small umbrella and get it close to the subject. More contrast and color saturated as Mark said. Invest in a boom on a stand with wheels for your strobe head that you can easily move around and put the light in any position you want (unless like Avedon you have an assistant who holds the light on a pole following the model around). Use a soft reflector for fill when necessary, but not at too low an angle.

My best advice is to just use one light and really get to know it well. When you've mastered it (which can take a very long time) add more such as a background light (just enough for separating the subject as necessary) and or others as dictated by your vision. I do have some experience in this area having lit thousands of fashion/beauty editorial and advertising photos. But that was in another life.

Good Luck,

Robert