Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 and the Antireflection Coating on the VF
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:45:36 -0700

The missing condenser lens is not the problem. I have an early M4-2 which
flares just like my M6TTL. My M4-2 has the condenser lens. The condenser
lens has to be removed to fit the six frame mask set as it does not
physically fit otherwise.

Leica was experimenting with a six frame finder before the M4-2 was released
(Lager). When they redesigned the finder to a simpler mechanical
construction*, which they also hoped would reduce the necessity for field
adjustments, they removed the condenser lens in anticipation of the M4-P. I
had a late M4-2 with the late finder and no condenser lens. It did not flare
at all but performed exactly the same as my M2.

What causes finder flare in the later cameras? Beats me...

John Collier

*by removing the complicated but simple to use vertical alignment mech.