Subject: [Leica] International warranty
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 16:13:20 EST

<<

> Any other folk have this discussion?

How can you or I KNOW that someone is an "authorized Leica dealer"?  Is

there a published list somewhere?  Second, is that policy written that it

has to have some special "stamp" on the registration card?  I would believe

a receipt should be sufficient...does EVERY authorized Leica dealer have a

stamp?  Is it an "official" stamp, given by Leica to these dealers?

I understand that some people try to take advantage of things, but this

whole warranty thing by Leica USA seems really weasely to me.

Austin

- - --

Austin,

It is as easy as an 800 number to verify that someone is a Leica USA dealer.
Just call Leica USA and ask.

There IS a list of USA dealers on their web site by state as well. Some
dealers have links to their sites and most have contact information.

If there is a "stamp" I don't know about it. I never got one at least!<g>
Maybe long ago there was, before I was a dealer or consumer even? Perhaps
overseas it is a system still in use, but not in the USA.

However, it is easy to tell if you bought grey market or new USA gear.

New, USA gear contains white perforated cards that say "3 year limited
passport warranty" on them. If you didn't get that card, no matter what the
dealer says, it ain't new USA. These days the cards say what the item is, but
YOU must put in the serial numbers. I guess it cuts down on their labor.

The origin of any gear, new or used, can once again be proven with a phone
call...just call Leica and ask for the registration department.

They have a list of every serial number and the dealer it was sold to.
Periodically, dealers do transfer stuff between each other and, at times, it
can take Leica a little while to catch up with the paper work in that
regard...but they can always tell you it is New, USA vs. grey.

There is also a circular mylar sticker on each USA box that says "Leica USA"
on it...however I have received a few items where they forgot the sticker and
- -more over- there is one "famous" case of a less reputable dealer making his
own stickers and putting them on grey goods. This dealer is no longer a USA
dealer however. Still, the sticker is a good indication I guess, if not
out-and-out proof.

On the subject of grey market, it is a sticky one for me. My feeling is that
there are a number of "loopholes" in USA pricing, -such as demo days and
rebates- that have made the prices pretty close to grey market anyway. Also,
I have seen my share of really _like new_ demos that sell for LESS than grey
market, though technically these items are in the category of "used."

Also, with Leica USA, I feel they really do "try" although they don't always
get everything right. While I can understand that saving hundreds of dollars
on an item is not chump change, my personal preference is to try and make the
new USA gear work for a customer if I can...and knowing at other times that
it just can't. I have resigned to let the customer make his or her own
choices, there are enough dealers out there with specific "agendas" for those
who want to be told what to do. You're a big boy, you know the risks, it is
your money!

All that being said, I make more money on grey market goods when I import
them myself, so sometimes it really is an "altruistic" endeavor to "push" USA
goods. Think about it, there is no way that cutting out an entire company and
commensurate expenses, is NOT going to save you some cash on any products.
One some products it would take 1 or 2 Leica USA "paid for" repairs to equal
the price of passport goods. I guess Leica USA is being pretty fair in that
they WILL do the repairs, unlike Mamiya and Nikon who refuse non-USA repairs
all together. I think their hearts are in the right place. That is MY opinion.

If Leica USA were to go away I think it would be terrible for Leica and
customers...so I'm glad to have them even if they can't be all things to all
customers.

bests,
Rich

Replies: Reply from "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com> (RE: [Leica] International warranty)