Subject: RE: [Leica] MOVIE LEICA SIGHTING - 'We Were Soldiers"
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 15:43:48 -0500

Marc - I DO see what you're saying - we were really talking about two
different things. I think the problem here is that it was not the movie
producers who got this wrong; it was Dirk Halstead in his review. In the
movie, it is quite clear that Hal Moore commands the 1st battalion of the
7th Cavalry - the 1st of the 7th....

I don't know where and how Halstead got bogged down the 2nd ...which, as you
state, would presumably be the 2nd of the 7th - the 2nd battalion of the 7th
Cavalry Regiment.

I certainly understand, and agree with, what you've said about the problem
when a movie, a book, etc., gets something simple and basic wrong. But in
this case I believe that it was the reviewer, not the movie, which got a
number of things wrong - including the reference to photos having been taken
by Galloway during the battle, when the photos sure looked to me as though
they were taken during the filming of the movie, and one could see the
movie's actors in them. ;-)

B. D.