Subject: [Leica] OT: long arm of the law (was: Warranty survey)
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:16:47 -0600

Austin:

>Well, I know I CAN win.  In MA, I can sue any company in the US here
>locally.  No, I do NOT have to go to that state to sue them.  We have a long
>arm statute that is invoked via what is called a "93A" demand letter.

Interesting.  I thought the whole idea of jurisdiction was to prevent just
that.  If a company isn't doing business in your state, then I don't see how
that state has any legal authority over the business.

>If they fail to pay, then they are in contempt of court, and prohibited from doing
>business in MA until they do pay.

Of course, if they aren't doing business in MA, then what's the big deal?
:)  If they are doing business in MA, then an MA court would be the correct
jurisdiction, anyway.

Eric

Message from "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> (RE: [Leica] Warranty survey.)