Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW - Week 7 - SlideOne
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:16:48 -0600

John:

>http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week07.02.html
>
>http://slideone.com/PAW2002/week07alt.02.html

I like the composition of your alternate better.  The parts of cars in the
main one take away from the image for me.

>Both Neopan 1600 shot w/ an M. I still cant seem to get enough shadow in the
>alt shot. I exposed a stop over what the handheld meter told me and did 1:3
>processing in Xtol. Will be trying out Delta 3200 at the next game maybe
>with their DDX developer... I wonder if I'm expecting to much out of the
>fast film...?

I'd suggest staying with Neopan 1600 for a little while.  Stick with one
film and experiment with it until you learn how to use it.  If you switch
films one week, developers another week, and metering technique the third
week, you'll have a hard time learning.

By handheld meter, are you talking about a reflective or incidence meter?
Which M do you have?  If you want to make sure you have shadow detail, you
need to meter your shadows.  Use a reflective meter.  Meter a shadow that
you want to have just a little detail.  Open up 3 stops.  Or 2 stops if you
want it to have more detail.  Better yet, try both.  Make sure you're only
reading the light reflected from the shadow area.

What kind of meter did you use, and how did you use it?  Where did you point
it?  What did it say?  What did you set on your camera?

Eric