Subject: RE: [Leica] Digilux 1 first handling on Chasseur d'Images website .
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:43:25 -0600

I talked with Patrick McKee about this when I ordered one just yesterday.

Apparently, Panasonic feels that this new type of memory card is the wave of
the future instead of the older and larger Type I and II cards (including
the IBM Microdrive).

Patrick told me that he had talked with someone he knows at Panasonic about
this very thing and he was assured that SD memory cards will not only be
more available to the general public in the future, but that the storage
capacitiy will be increasing as well, making the large type cards less
attractive.

I enclose a quote taken directly from the Panasonic web site about these
cards.

BEGIN QUOTE

"SD memory cards are postage stamp sized media cards that will allow for the
quick exchange of digital media between SD card devices. It has several
features that also make it the better format for the new digital age.
Besides its tiny size, it features built-in copy protection - a most
important feature for keeping data safe."

END QUOTE

Apparently, the older type cards can accidentally be erased as they have no
copy protection device like a floppy does.

I would invite Patrick to share more of his conversation with Panasonic as
to this subject as I also asked the very same question about why Leica did
not go with a Type I or II card that will allow use of the IBM Microdrive.

Tom Henson

<< did they say anything on the lack of IBM Microdrive support and the odd
choice of flash storage cards, or the lack of TTL flash?
These are two serious shortcomings IMHO. Unbelievable for Leica.

Pascal >>

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Digilux 1 first handling on Chasseur d'Images website.)
Reply from Spencer Cheng <scheng@sympatico.ca> (RE: [Leica] Digilux 1 first handling on Chasseur d'Images website .)