Subject: RE: [Leica] Digilux 1 first handling on Chasseur d'Images website .
From: Spencer Cheng <scheng@sympatico.ca>
Date: 06 Mar 2002 10:40:29 -0500

A couple of notes on SD Cards from my very bad memory. Probably more
than you will ever want to know about SD Cards. :-)

SD Card, like the other types of flash cards are targeted to reach 1
gigabyte capacity within a year or so. Now each SD card actually have 2
partition on it: a "protected" and a "normal" partition. The protected
partition is only accessible to manufactures who has the cryptographic
keys and is intended for controlling access to protected content. There
are if you like 2 bootable VFAT file system on the card.

As for the write protect tab, that has to be implemented by the SD Card
reader itself as the plastic slider is not connected electrically to the
internal of the cards.

Are SD Cards inherently better than any of the others form factors? I
don't think so. Their main advantage from what I can remember over
CompactFlash or others formats, is that they support DRM protected
content for things like music or video and they are physically smaller
than most.

Regards
Spencer