Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 9 - skiing snapshots
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:03:21 -0500

At 10:44 PM 3/5/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Thanks Tina, I went and downloaded it. For some strange reason it insists on
>turning my picture into grayscale. But maybe I am doing something wrong, I
>have
>never used actions before.
>
>Nathan

Try it this way:

Step 1.  Make a grayscale copy by opening the image, chose Image >
Duplicate, and click OK.  Now select Image > Mode > Grayscale.

Step 2.  Using this grayscale copy, select Filter > Blur > Guassian Blur,
and blur the image enough that you lose detail by entering a Radius value
between 3 and 6 pixels.

Step 3.  Bring the original color image window to the top by clicking in
it, the choose Select > Load Selection and, and use the grayscale copy as
your selection.  Set the background channel to Black, check the Invert box,
and click OK.  After loading the selection, you should see a dotted line
around the shadow areas.

Step 4.  Now choose Edit > Fill.  Under Contents, select 50% gray.  Under
Opacity, enter 100%.  Under Mode, select Color Dodge, then click OK.  The
resulting image should have the shadows lifted.

It is a lot easier to do than it sounds like.  When the various windows
come up, it is pretty obvious what to do.  It sounds like the action is not
bringing the color copy back up in step 3.

This is a great action that does wonders for backlit photos.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com