Subject: [Leica] Re: Nathan's PAW 9 - skiing snapshots
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:15:13 -0600

Tina:

>Try it this way:
>
>Step 1.  Make a grayscale copy by opening the image, chose Image >
>Duplicate, and click OK.  Now select Image > Mode > Grayscale.
>
>Step 2.  Using this grayscale copy, select Filter > Blur > Guassian Blur,
>and blur the image enough that you lose detail by entering a Radius value
>between 3 and 6 pixels.
>
>Step 3.  Bring the original color image window to the top by clicking in
>it, the choose Select > Load Selection and, and use the grayscale copy as
>your selection.  Set the background channel to Black, check the Invert box,
>and click OK.  After loading the selection, you should see a dotted line
>around the shadow areas.
>
>Step 4.  Now choose Edit > Fill.  Under Contents, select 50% gray.  Under
>Opacity, enter 100%.  Under Mode, select Color Dodge, then click OK.  The
>resulting image should have the shadows lifted.

I find using Layers to do the same thing more intuitive.

1) Select "Duplicate layer" from the layer menu.  I usually name it c or c
mask.  or contrast if I'm feeling especially verbose.  :)

2) Desaturate the new layer and invert it.

3)  Select "overlay" as the mode.

4) Guassian blur to taste.  Adjust the Layer opacity slider to taste, as
well.

Same results.  :)

Eric

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (RE: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 9 - skiing snapshots)