Subject: Re: [Leica] My First (real) Leica
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:58:35 -0800

Woo Hoo!  A nice gift - I love my R3.  I think yours probably just needs
a battery - it is an electronic shutter and it sounds like the
mechanical backup is all that is working.

I don't know what you shoot most, but I started with a 50 Summicron and
it was amazingly sharp, and incredibly flare-resistant.  I sold it and
got the Summilux and it is even more amazing.  I recommend either of
those.  I also have a 70-210 f4 zoom and it is not up to snuff with the
Summilux (no big surprise) but still a good lens with a very useful
range.  If I could afford it, I'd get an 80 Summilux and a 280 f4 APO
instead, but there is a slight price difference, if you know what I mean ;)

Have fun with the R3!  Oh, yea, and don't give up on the M - you really
need both and R and an M system I think.

- - marc

David Regan wrote:

>Hello Listers!
>
>A few weeks ago I had posted about a failed attempt by my mother to buy me
>an M6 for Christmas. Well...
>This weekend while she was at an estate sale on the Island with Martha
>Stewart, she was able to pick me an R3 body on the cheap. I haven't seen it
>yet, that is the cheese to get me to come home to visit.
>However, she says that it only seems to work on the B and X setting. I am
>new to Leica's, so does anyone have any advice on a lens for this? I will
>wait for repair advice once I see it.
>Thanks for the help,
>Dave

- --