Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Minilux
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:46:29 -0500

- --On Wednesday, March 06, 2002 03:21:42 PM +0100 Nathan Wajsman
<wajsman@webshuttle.ch> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Optically the Minilux is excellent, and 40mm is a very useful focal
> length. My main problem with the Minilux (and the reason I sold mine) was
> the ergonomics. Specifically, two features really annoyed me: first, to
> turn the camera off you had to twist the dial on top to the off position,
> which was located at the extreme end and far away from the commonly used
> position of that dial (sort of like the OFF setting on the M6TTL).
> Second, and more seriously, when you turn on the Minilux, it reverts to
> the default flash mode, automatic. In my case I most often wanted to turn
> the flash off, and in order to accomplish that I had to press a tiny
> button 7 times. When the camera was turned off and then on again, this
> setting reverted back to the factory default. Compare that to, say, the
> Ricoh GR1 where the flash is controlled with a simple slider which
> obviously stays wherever you leave it. This problem was the main reason
> why I soured on the Minilux and dumped it; depending on your usage
> pattern, this may or may not be a problem for you. If it isn't, then by
> all means go ahead, as I said, optically this IS a true Leica.

The Contax T3 does not have this flash problem -- you program the default
flash mode and it stays put (mine is programmed for flash OFF). The T3's
lens is superb and the ergonomics are better than the Minilux, IMHO. Most
of this is probably simply because it is a newer design.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.