Subject: Re: [Leica] Microprisms for R8?
From: "Douglas Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:15:23 +0800

Julian Koplen wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the microprism focusing screen on the R8
> vs. the ground glass?  I have the ground glass and do pretty well with it,
> but when switching back and forth with my SL, I notice a much better
> "feeling" about my focusing with the SL.  I don't know if it's due to a
> slight brightness advantage of the SL or due to its microprism screen.
>
> This gives rise to the temptation to try a microprism for the R8, but I have
> a natural resistance to "messing around" inside my camera and am wondering
> if it will even be worthwhile to switch.  I use the R8 with everything from
> 24mm to 400, but mostly 90, 180 f3.4, and 400 f6.8.  Anyone tried this?

I'm very curious about this too, particularly since your most-used lenses are among my favorites.  My understanding is that the microprism of the R8 screen is limited to the central selective metering area, while the SL's viewscreen has teensy microprisms across the entire viewscreen with coarse microprisms in the central area.  I suspect the R8 microprism viewscreen wouldn't do much for the 400, at least for me, since the central microprisms becomes too difficult to use at smaller apertures.

A clone of the SL viewscreen would IMHO be fantastic in the R8.  The 90 Summicron-R, 180 APO-Telyt, and 400 f/6.8 snap into focus so quickly, easily and with such confidence using the SL that it's hard to imagine any benefit to using AF.  Examples:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/pete.html

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/blsk.html

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/CAGOEA.HTM

- --