Subject: Re: [Leica] Official soft release
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:47:23 -0800

Derek Zeanah wrote:

> bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
> > It is truly astounding the crap people buy on that site, and the prices
>
> So, use it to your advantage.  Well-written descriptions and good photography
> seem to really increase the amount eBay buyers will pay, which plays into the
> hands of the people on this list.  And if you're good you can find some great
> deals (I got a Hasselblad Polaroid 100 back *and* an A-24 back, both ugly but
> fully functional, for like $120 *total* once because the guy wrote a poor ad
> with no reserve).
>
> There are people who make a living buying stuff at rational prices and
> reselling it at a huge mark-up on eBay.  There are other people (like me) who
> buy there -- if you know what you want and you're willing to wait, you can do
> marvelously well.

A good deal for me is a bad deal for the seller.
And the thing is you've in effect ripped a guy off and now your taking
pictures with it, Derek.
The poor guy did not know how the play the ebay game as well as you did.
My empathy goes to him not you on this one.
There is that thing: what comes around goes around.
Or Karma.
It's like when you are taking pictures with stolen "hot" stuff.
In other words: bad vibes man!!!! :)
You want your gear to be completely honest like the pictures you take
with it.
This above is all a bit of an an exaggeration; but is partially in
effect why I've not jumped into ebay.
I'm not an negotiator. I don't like to bargain. I don't like games. I
don't gamble.
I was told to pick a vice and NOT do it.
I picked gambling. All the rest I've probably done.

I like the stuff put on the glass counter.
I put my money down.
I walk off with the stuff with receipt and slip which says how many days
i can bring it back and so on.

And if it breaks i bring it back next week and they give me another one
if that was the deal and i like to make sure that it is.
No "it's in the mail".

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com