Subject: [Leica] M-6 Viewfinder 50 MM field wildly different from Nikon F5
From: "Joe Stephens" <joe@atchou.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:51:31 -0600

I did a shoot (2nd one) with my new M6 (50mm 1.4)
and my Nikon F5 (50 mm F2)and again became aware of a SIGNIFICANT
difference in the "frame" of the 2 cameras.

When sitting on a chair, and holding up both cameras
to my eye, selecting a point to align the left
M6 brightline with and seeing how far it goes over to the
right, then doing the same thing with the F5, the
F5 includes about 10% more area than does the M6.

So, which is right/wrong?  A 50 mm lens has to include
the EXACT same area, isn't this correct.

Does the M6 "underestimate" the area, or does the F5
overestimate.

I have a lot of comments about the shooting, but I guess
I'd better see the results first.  I wish I had sprung
for a 35 mm lens, though.

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] M-6 Viewfinder 50 MM field wildly different from Nikon F5)
Reply from Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com> (Re: [Leica] M-6 Viewfinder 50 MM field wildly different from Nikon F5)