Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FS: Elmarit-M ASPH 21/2.8, Summicron-M 50/2.0, Elmarit-M 90/...
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:57:27 EST

leicam4pro@yahoo.com writes:

>  I made it a
>  rule to buy the best the first time.  If I had to wait for
>  the $$s to afford it, I did.

..........my dad taught me that when I was a teenager; it is ALWAYS cheaper
in the long run.

>      The advantage was great.  I never lost money trading
>  up.  And I learned more of how to use what I had while
>  waiting for the next new toy.
>      I still have every piece of that equipment.

.........don't exactly wich I did. But I do have a few of the most important
first-owned: M4 with DR Summicron hand-picked by Vince Fochtman at Leica New
York, 8-glass 35/2 Summicron and 90/2,8 Elmarit.

>  It still produces fine images, limited only by my application.  And
>  I, as well as others, have seen that the newest lenses,
>  while they are certainly better in some respects,

.........not always; I've argued in print that the DR Summicron is to this
day the best 50mm lens Leitz/Leica has ever made. And have the back-up. Of,
course, if highest contrast at full aperture is one's definition of "best" as
it is Mr. Puts', then by defining "best" yuou can fit your candidate in there.

> are not so fantastically superior that what I have is obsolete.
>      Perhaps if I were trying to earn a living in today's
>  shrinking market for quality work, I would feel the need
>  for some of the newest, latest, most expensive hardware.
>  But I am not.  And I doubt if very many of you are either.
>  Or you wouldn't have time to be on this list.

Ain't you got that right, Phreak! I'll be making Chicago contacts hopefully
this week.

Seth          LaK 9