Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: airport film check
From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 17:14:44 -0800

Hello Ted:

The reason to object to an incorrect application of the law is to keep the
government that is to serve the people from turning the tables and making
the people serve it.

Here in the USA, we see countless instances of the people being abused by
government  in a form that causes most the citizens to cower like sheep and
say you can't beat city hall.

As a CPA representing many clients before government and now as an elected
official in my city of 400,000, I have beat city hall on numerous occasions.
By that, I mean federal, state and local government.

I have stood my ground for my clients and earned a reputation that I will
win when the rules are on my side.

Now, as the elected City Auditor of the City of Oakland, I have had citizens
come to me with issues where the police department or another agency of our
city have bullied them with an incorrect interpretation of the law.

I have kept the city from illegally towing vehicles and illegally denying
licenses.

Ted, right is worth fighting for.   I will not cower as you suggest for film
inspection as long as the FAA regulations permit me to have a hand
inspection.

If I hear of unfair inspections at the Oakland Airport, I will audit the
security administration and publish publicly a report on the incorrect
process.

I have earned a reputation with the citizens of Oakland and was just
re-elected to a new four year term without opposition.

I urge everyone in my country to demand that the inspectors not violate
regulations.   This country is based on the rule of law and we must protect
that order by insisting the laws be followed.  The government exists to
serve us.   Read John Locke.

Roland Smith
Oakland, California