Subject: [Leica] Re: re: Rapid Winders -TOTALLY ON TOPIC
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:44:38 -0800

At 04:14 PM 3/12/2002 -0600, Mark Kronquist wrote:
>I had similar questions when I received my winder from Tom. According to the
>winder designer the basket is not necessary for proper function. That said I
>have been using my basket-free winder on M4-2 M4-P and M6 bodies for 5 years
>and am delighted with it   thanks  Mark

The winder has absolutely nothing to do with the basket. The basket is to
help in loading film.

 From the inside of the camera point of view, the camera doesn't know if it
is a Leica bottom plate mounted or a RapidWinder mounted.

Neither will push the film up to align with the sprockets without a basket
attached. But you can, and obviously do, do that on your own if you are
careful about how you load your camera.

With a basket, you can be sloppy, and the basket will push the film up to
the proper alignment for you. It simply helps eliminate loading mistakes.
Which is why Leica puts theme there.

Jim