Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Shake
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:02:46 -0500

At 03:39 PM 3/12/02 -0600, you wrote:
>In trying to photograph my ACTIVE fourteen month old daughter, I'm
>losing a lot of well-composed pictures with great facial expressions to
>camera shake.  I think that my daughter's constant movement, which
>forces me to rush for pictures and prevents the use of a tripod, is a
>contributing factor.  Trying to get down to her level also seems to
>increase the problem, but I am able to capture her facial expressions
>better from down there, I think.  The Leica sling made by Lutz Konermann
>would, I believe, allow me to grip my M6 better and improve results, but
>he seems to be out of town indefinitely, and I've tired of missing good
>moments while I wait.  Is there any technique or gadget I could use to
>improve my photographs?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Michael -

That's the problem with photographing people.  They just won't be
still!  Even if you were able to hold the camera at 1/15 of a second, your
daughter would still be in motion.  The only answer is faster film and/or
faster lenses.  The problem with faster lenses is that the depth of field
is so narrow that your daughter's movements will put her out of
focus.  That leaves faster film.  Film is getting better and better.  1600
film looks like 400 used to.  Try faster film.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com