Subject: Re: [Leica] How can I use a non-TTL flash on shutter speeds less than the flash sync speed?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:37:24 -0800 (PST)

Albert Wang wrote: on shutter speeds less

Hi everyone,

A minor question: which settings for the aperture should I use on a M3
if I want to shoot at shutter speeds less than the 1/50 flash sync
speed. For example, using ASA 400 speed film and the subject is 6 feet,
the flash guide suggests f16 at the regular flash sync of 1/50. What
should I do if I want to use flash at 1/4 sec. speed? Or 1 sec. speed?

Hi, Alfie

If you're using flash as the sole (or primary) light source, then the
shutter speed that you use doesn't matter, as long as it's not faster
than 1/50 sec. The only important thing is that the shutter must be
fully open at the moment the flash is lit, which happens at shutter
speed 1/50 sec. or below with an M camera.

The shutter has no effect on the exposure when you're using flash,
except that background illumination, if there is any, will appear
brighter in the picture at slower shutter speeds. You control the flash
exposure using the lens aperture and, if using an automatic
('computer') flash, in combination with the auto-flash setting. Most
auto-flashes offer a choice of 2 or 3 settings, allowing you to select
the aperture you prefer, for a given flash-to-subject subject distance
and film speed.

In your example, you would use f/16 at any of the shutter speeds you
mention.

Regards,

=====
Ray