Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Shake
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:11:05 -0800 (PST)

Jeffery Smith wrote:

Using a flash bounced off the wall or ceiling would give you some
freezing without making the image look like it was taken with a flash.

Hi Jeffery,

I couldn't agree more. I use bounce flash with M6 TTL indoors more
often than not. It takes away the risk of blur due to movement and, if
done skilfully, doesn't detract from the quality of the portrait. It
also allows me to use a more sensible (smaller) aperture, to get the
whole face in focus instead of just one eye (I find partially in focus
portraits boring).

I find I need a bit of fill-in lighting to avoid "racoon eyes" with
bounce flash, especially if I'm very close to the subject, so I use a
Metz 40 MZ-3i, which has tilt/swivel head and a secondary reflector for
fill-in. It's supplied with a couple of ND filters that can be slid
over the secondary reflector to cut down its brightness, and I found I
needed to use the middle-density filter so as to avoid flash highlights
reflecting from the skin and to avoid shadows to one side of the
subject when using vertical format.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm all for available light photography
without flash. It's something I'm keen to master and I feel very
satisfied on the few occasions I succeed. However, I don't consider
flash to be objectionable and I've used it enough to know that I can
get good results. I'm aware that some, maybe most, M users don't like
flash but that's their view, not mine.

Regards,

=====
Ray