Subject: Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic
From: William Gower <w_gower@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:47:55 -0600

Henry Ting wrote:

> Apart from cost, another factor to consider between
> the Mac and PC is whether you have the resources, or
> even if you do, whether you are willing to "get down
> and dirty" when things mysteriously goes haywire.
> Although Macs are no guarantee things will work, but
> at least things are more transparent and the "plug and
> play" is almost guaranteed.

What I've found about MacOS for the last 12 years I've used it, it that
it has ALWAYS been  "plug and play". I buy something - PCI card, SCSI
device, USB device... whatever- install it and it works.

Last weekend I spent 5+ hours trying to configure an internal CD-RW in
my kid sister-in-laws PC. Over 5 hours of pissing around with
"blue-screen-windows exception fault 09123421AAA + AUUAWAZZZ0000" and
"blah-blah-blah.dll error" that we just gave up and went to the pub.

Poor kid...all she wanted to do is burn her MP3's and she has to get a
lesson in IRQ addressing.

I had to promise her that when I buy a new G4 later this spring she can
have my G3. At least that made her happy.

My 0.02

William