Subject: RE: [Leica] McCurry's Afghan Girl
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:23:48 -0500

At 04:14 PM 3/13/02 -0800, you wrote:

>BTW: I am not nor ever have been paid for any photograph.  It is my opinion.
>Battle armor on.
>
>Frank Filippone

What no one seems to have considered is the impact that Steve McCurry's
photograph has had on charitable giving to Afghanistan and other
Middle-Eastern countries.  I know that it would be almost impossible to
calculate; however, the fact the USA has contributed more in financial aid
to Afghanistan over the past ten years than all other countries in the
world combined might possibly have something to do with the
photograph.  McCurry's photograph of the Afghan girl makes her seem real -
not an abstract "Muslim" girl, but a girl we might know and care about and
want to help.  In my opinion, that is why Steve McCurry photographed her to
begin with - not for any future profit he might make.  He has been very
lucky, realizes it, and wants to pay back for what he has received.  That
is why he searched her out to find out if he could help her and her
family.  He could accepted the profits and forgotten about her, but he didn't.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com