Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:29:23 -0500

Hi Robert,

> Who shoots colour negative film with a Leica?

If you mean as opposed to color slide film, most people.  There are reasons
that color negative film is "better" than color slide film, one of them
being exposure latitude, second being better highlights and shadows.

> Erwin, in his books,
> totally discounts the use of colour negative film.

Well, since I haven't read what you claim, I can't say what Erwin was
saying.

> It certainly
> is easier
> to scan,

What do you mean by easier?  Negative film is in fact harder to scan, since
it has a film base, and possibly a more compressed tonal range.

> but the slides produce better images

It depends on what you mean by better.

The tonal range of both is going to be more or less equal as far as YOUR eye
is concerned, with decent film, decent exposure and decent development.
Both typically provide more tonal separation than your eye can distinguish,
therefore no matter which one has a higher dynamic range, will not give you
more visible tonality.

DO NOT confuse exposure latitude of the film, which is very narrow for slide
film, with dynamic range of the film, which is wider for slide film...simply
due to the film base being clear for slide film, and offset for negative
film.

Austin