Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:35:32 -0500

> > Just FYI, higher values of dMax, whether valid or not, are ONLY
> applicable
> > for positive film.  Standard negative film (B&W or color) does
> not need a
> > dMax over 2.8.
> >
> > Austin
> >

> Really? Can you elaborate?
>
> Thanks,
>
> feli

Hi Feli,

Sure, but I'm not sure what it is you would like me to elaborate on?

Do you understand dynamic range, and why slide film has a wider dynamic
range than negative film?  It's simple, because positive film does not have
a film base color to it.  That means that your available "signal" for
positive film is from clear to black, where on negative film, your available
"signal" starts at the film base and goes to black...and is therefore less
than that of positive film.

Also, keep in mind that on negative film, shadows are clear, and highlights
are black...so scanners never have any trouble "getting into the shadows"
with negative film.

Austin

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions)