Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Wandering: Motor Scooters
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:56:49 -0800 (PST)

- --- BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com> wrote:
> Photo, yours and Bill's points are taken.  Fortunately I
> live in an inner
> city neighborhood where soccer moms are rare, streets are
> very narrow and
> traffic speed is low.  Those are the conditions that
> might make this idea
> work for me.

    Well, actually scooters are not new to the US.  As the
US was helping Europe struggle back to her feet after WW2,
there were a lot of Italian, German and Czech scooters
imported into the US.  SEARS even sold them.  And in the
late '50s Mopeds became popular, until this state required
a regular drivers license for them.  Then in the early '60s
the ubiquitous Honda 50s and 60s became the rage on college
campuses and some high schools.  Within a few years the
schools banned them because of all the injuries.
    I do not know what city you live in, but I see two real
problems.
  1.  Getting run over by some idiot, and probably a
      hit'n'run at that.
  2.  Some one will decide to steal it, perhaps even with
      you on it.

    I really miss having a 650.  Especially now that spring
will be here soon.  But I just don't have a death wish....