Subject: [Leica] WAS: Motor Scooters NOW: PHOTO FITNESS! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:23:14 -0800

John Brownlow wrote:
>>>Anyway the more important point is that since you cannot do much about
your genes, you might as well do something about the things you can control,
such as increasing your cardio fitness. Cycling 5-10ks a day is a very good
enforced fitness routine and (to me) about a thousand times more interesting
than going to the gym. AND you can carry a camera, which I do.<<<

Hi John,
You may have missed my post last week about me starting a 6 month fitness
course, in any event, now a week into it I find it quite interesting how
quickly one begins to feel the effects of working under the guidance of a
trainer who keeps you at it making one do the required repetitions, rather
than on your own and sloughing off with 6 instead 12 you're supposed to do.

I didn't do this for Cardio reason, I just got so damn fed up with running
out of steam carrying my camera gear bag of roughly 45 pounds and more some
days, that I figured to hell with this age crap and being tired, hell I'm
only 73 in a month so why the hell can't I hustle faster than I am. My mind
is always willing to charge on and do things, it was just the damn body
dragging it's ass around half the time that was screwing up my photo results
in many cases.

I found I was loosing too many shots and not as steady as I was hand holding
the 280 2.8 with an R8, shoulder brace and motor drive and it became obvious
something had to be done and damn smartly!

Part of my problem with Leica gear is, I shoot 99.99999% hand held available
light slow shutter speeds where necessary, and if you can't handle an R8,
motor and 280 at 1/15 of second and get sharp sharp images you have a
choice........ Quit shooting or get fixed! Oops, ;-) you know what I mean,
get with the work out three times a week at 7 a.m for an hour and half.
Fully intend on going the course and more, as I still have too many photo
things to do and places to go. And I'd never get there if I just dragged
along like some 73 year old fart on his way to the big darkroom in the sky.

Oh and your comment on the gym, >>about a thousand times more interesting
than going to the gym. AND you can carry a camera, which I do.<<<

Gee I don't know about that John,  there's some damn fine looking women in
there that keep the blood flowing and heart pounding! ;-) And I don't think
it has anything to do with the work out at hand. ;-)

And yep I'm casing the place to start doing a picture series at 6 a.m for an
hour each morning after I'm accepted by the morning crowd as a regular. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant