Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Wandering: Motor Scooters
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:19:17 -0500

On 3/14/02 4:42 PM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> What studies in the U.S. seem to indicate is that what the oldest of the old
> have in common is - good genes. They all have parents, grandparents,
> been in good health, rather than the other way around. And, quite obviously,
> they aren't long-lived because they smoke like chimneys, but rather have
> genes that have allowed them to get away with smoking like chimneys.

Your smoking point is a great one but not so convinced by the bicycling one.
Did their good genes predispose them to take up long-distance cycling at age
20? Seems rather unlikely.

Anyway the more important point is that since you cannot do much about your
genes, you might as well do something about the things you can control, such
as increasing your cardio fitness. Cycling 5-10ks a day is a very good
enforced fitness routine and (to me) about a thousand times more interesting
than going to the gym. AND you can carry a camera, which I do.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] WAS: Motor Scooters NOW: PHOTO FITNESS! :-))