Subject: [Leica] Re: Velvia
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:31:13 -0800

>From: Jim Hemenway
> >
> > I think that the only thing that Velvia is good for is Autumn and a
> > visit to the circus

> >The Velvia 'look' is by now an obnoxious cliché.
>
> >John Brownlow

My main efforts are in landscape and urbanscape photography. I have been
using Velvia since its inception. I have published four photography based
books, two on Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove and two on San Francisco.
The majority of the film was Fuji. First, Fuji 50, and then when Velvia
came out, I switched to Velvia.

Over the years I have tried other films for my work but keep coming back to
Velvia for hard core use. 35mm, 120/220, and 4x5. E100VS comes close, but
no cigar! I use a lot of Provia 100F in 120 which is a plain Jane film but
has amazing resolution and reciprocity charactistics. I use Provia 400F for
hand held photography. Pretty amazing for a 400 speed color film.

Velvia is neither a film ONLY for Autumn nor is it a cliché. It is a
marvelous film that continues to amaze me with its capabilities and ability
to bring out subtile differences in 'scape color values.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> ([Leica] Re: Velvia)
Message from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Velvia, was Scanner Suggestions)