Subject: Re: [Leica] I am probably crazy, but...
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:43:45 -0500

Sam wrote:

>I have yet been able to justify it, but if I were to start doing a lot
of group work, I
>would jump on a Fuji GSW690III

I disagree about the Fuji.  The aspect ratio of 6x9 doesn't fit 8x10,
which is what most people want.  8x12s fit the subject better, but the
cost is generally much higher on large runs and the clients will find
the size hard to
buy frames for.

One of the reasons I use 6x6 for groups is that I can be sure the
left/right axis will be correct without cropping. The other axis can
usually just fall.  With 35mm (or 6x9 for that matter) you have to
*guess* how far to the left and right to put people in the frame.
That's bad news when you have a lot of other things on your mind. And if

you screw it up, you end up paying through the nose for custom printing.

Additionally, a polaroid back is always useful to check lighting and
that your
camera still works, but the Fuji doesn't take one. So I'd recommend a
Hassy,
Bronica or Mamaiya.  An RB-67 is nice and cheap and the 6x7 format crops
8x10 nicely. Of course, so does 4x5 if you really want to go to town. Or
8x10 :-)

Simon Stevens