Subject: Re: [Leica] I am probably crazy, but...
From: Pablo Kolodny <pablokolodny@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:54:19 -0800

> Che, Pablo,
ha! pleased to hear Che!!
how do you know that ? Che Guevara ?

> you have no idea the hush created in a classroom, Gym, or stadium when the
> teacher or coach announces: "the photographer from 17 is here to take your
> picture".
> This of course works only for high school kids.
more than hush they'd rather twist and shout at those circumstances.
I'm sure it would not work. No way.

> As for being "untruthful" to women and others, unfortunately a portrait
> photographer has to use whatever line is necessary to put the subject at
> ease and capture on film the soul rather than the image of the client.
I think I get the same being simple truthful. photographing people, as other
activities in life, a far away easier if the real truth is handled.
Sometimes is nice to create or re-create a story, a sort of script but I
always do that only if model really agrees.
I'd say that to get the soul of someone is easier through the right way, the
fair way, the truth way. At least that's the way I work and I think I got
some good portraits. Save those coming from people I dislike to. Or have
some negative sentiment to.

> But you can overdo it. A photographer in San Diego (I cannot recall his name
> but remember that hi was Hispanic, older, and with a wonderful gift of gab)
> during a seminar kept showing portraits of a stunning model in many poses
> meant for her boyfriend. Finally he confessed that he liked the girl so
> much, and oversold his line to the point that he sent copies of the photos
> to the boyfriend but kept the girl for himself. He married her.
> I would love to hear about him. As I recall he was in poor health.
When you've installed a sort of script, a play, you can game with the one in
front of your lens. Gabbing sometimes works and sometimes not, when that
person is too shy, for example.

> I am not good at portrait taking, that is why I chose industrial
> illustration. Nut & bolts stand still and never complain about their smile.
Fine to hear that, you can't be untruthful with nuts and/or bolts, I mean
you can but who cares.

chau

Pablo