Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica SLRs
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:32:13 -0800

on 3/19/02 6:41 PM, Henry Ting at henryting10@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies on the whirling sound of
> the R6.2.
>
> Since I got an R4 as well, without instructions, I run
> into additional problems and hope someone here can
> walk me through it.
>
> On metering in "AE" mode...
> How do I lock the exposure after taking a reading and
> than recompose for taking pictures. I tried pressing
> the shutter release to take up the slack, thus
> iluminating the auto shutter speed, but as soon as I
> recompose (say to a darker area), the shutter speed
> lid up to another shutter range. Thus screwing up the
> exposure. It there something wrong with this camera?

The exposure lock orks only in spot mode.  When you press the shutter
release partay, I think the meter mode light goes out.  The shutter speed
indication continues to track hat the camera ould set but as long as the
meter mode light is out the exposure is held.

> On "manual" mode...
> Upon pressing the shutter button half-way, the correct
> shutter speed lights up, then I have to either adjust
> the aperture (which is displayed in the viewfinder),
> or adjust the shutter dial (which is NOT displayed in
> the viewfinder), how can I adjust the shutter speed
> without taking my eyes away from the finder. It seems
> in manual mode, the metering is not coupled with the
> shutter speed.

Ah, so this is an R4 feature too... one of my biggest gripes about the R4s.
Manual shutter speed not visible in the viefinder.  Trade for R4sP or
better, or live ith it.

My apologies.  the key beteen the 'q' and 'e' on my keyboard has died.
George H, thanks for the spare keyboard!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com