Subject: Re: [Leica] BC Trip AND LUG OUTING! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:53:20 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>> I survived snow sleet and hail rain and border guards to drive all by my
> lonesome in my 94 Buick to Vancouver BC and back to see some of my >more
cherished LUG-Nuts.  The weather report both coming and going was very much
"YES!".YES there is weather! and lots of it!!!!! would you like an extra
serving of sleet on your baked Alaska!?

> Alaska? is that north of here?
> Not much!!!<<<<<<<

Hi Mark,
And wasn't it worth all that lousy no good rotten weather?  Here let me try
to answer my own question............... you bet yer sweet bippy it was! :-)
:-)

Tom and Tuulikki Abrahamsson hosting the crew during a wonderful afternoon
of food, and of course, our obligatory bottle of Lagavulin single malt
scotch accompanied by several others of very fine vintage.

A fine crew indeed:
Tuulikki and Tom Abrahamsson, Tanya & Henning Wulff, Joe Leung, Greg
Lorenzo, Mark Rabiner, Richard Wasserman, my good wife Irene and meself.

Guys if you come to the big town of Vancouver be prepared for a wonderful
encounter with hostess, Tullikki Abrahamsson who sets a mean table of
goodies! :-) :-)  Thanks Tuulikki, we can't thank you enough for your
wonderful
table setting and hosting. You are one very fine hostess, thank you.

Love those Vancouver LUGfests! :-)

>>> The sushi was delicious and the light was fabulous as was the company
> and conversation.<<<

This goes without saying! But one of the great things that happens when
Luggites gather face to face, it's all good fun, learning and enjoying the
company and camaraderie without the bull shit that clouds the screen day
after day at times.

One real good face to face is worth twenty days of looking at the screen and
deleting like it were lousy popcorn. But enough of that, as this LUGfest was
a smashing success and quite a wonderful learning experience of looking at a
block of photography from "Mark the Rabiner" and Richard Wasserman.

One thing I'm always in awe of, is the ability of photographers to see so
distinctly one from the other, I know that sounds simple and not so awesome.
But when you pass around a bunch of prints and see what others see and how
they've recorded what motivated them, it really is a special experience unto
itself. It's when you are admiring a picture of a subject which you know if
you were in the same location you'd have stood in the identical spot and
passed without even thinking picture taking.

Richard caught me by surprise time after time with his eye for composition
and making fine art photographs of the simplest subjects. Man Richard that's
a gift my friend! Thank you.

And Mark with his people and model pictures all at 16X20, passed around the
group with his wonderful running dialogue of who, what, where, adding to
each photograph. Thanks Mark, why we didn't even get around to that show and
tell when I was in Portland, very much enjoyed. Thanks.

It's the real thing in hand that beats the hell out of the screen any day.
It's the real thing that shows the metal of the photographer, it's the real
thing that illustrates the wonders of picture taking and why we all love it
so very much.

This past Saturday afternoon was a classic photo time well spent, trust me a
solid piece of photo camaraderie par excellence!

Thanks to all who attended and made it such a wonderful event.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant