Subject: [Leica] Re: Lenses
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:38:23 -0800

At 12:04 PM 3/20/2002 -0500, Dr. Elliot Puritz wrote:
>I would be very interested in seeing what Erwin says about Leica glass being
>obtained from different sources, and the coatings being modified  according
>to the properties of the glass.  In his book Erwin is very clear about the
>quality control that Leica uses in the manufacture of their lenses, and the
>pains that they take to insure that the glass used is of such a nature as to
>assure that the computer design of the lens is in fact what is achieved in
>the final result.  If the glass is different from one "batch" of lenses to
>another ( naturally of the same type, e.g., the 50 summilux for example )
>then the final result might not be consistent.  Anyone going to Solms soon
>for one of the Leica courses?  Would be a great question to ask at the
>factory.
>
>Elliot

I suspect that, like all "good" manufacturing companies, Leica performs
rigorous QC on incoming materials, including glass.

JMHO,

Jim

Message from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Canada build vs German build)
Message from "wwk001" <wwk001@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Canada build vs German build)