Subject: Re: [Leica] David Bailey (slight return)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:51:41 +0100

Pascal; that was a good question.

Slobodan; The Oxford Guide to the English Language says that 'garish'
is 'gaudy' and that 'gaudy' is 'showy or bright in a tasteless way'.
Merriam-Webster say  that 'garish' is 'flashy (momentarily dazzling),
glaring, showy, gaudy (cheaply or vulgarly showy)'.

What exactly do you find cheaply or vulgarly showy (or showy in a
tasteless way) in Sieff's pictures?

Chris

>Let's start with the word--garish.
>Slobodan Dimitrov
>
>Pascal wrote:
>>
>>  On 20-03-2002 16:20 S Dimitrov wrote:
>>
>>  > I never liked Sieff's 35mm work. It's too grainy for my taste. Also,
>>  > his use of negative space, in an image, made it look like he was winging
>>  > it, and out of control. In particular, the _european_style of
>>printing that
>>  > dominates Sieff's work, I find it visually abrasive.
>>
>>  Could you please explain to me what "European style of printing" means?
>>
>>  Pascal
>  > NO ARCHIVE

- --
Christer Almqvist